Monday, November 19, 2018

Investiture, Rededication, Bridging and Juliette Gordon Low


My troops have always taken in new girls every year, and of course, we lose some too.  For that reason, I have never liked to have bridging ceremonies at the end of the year.  I just don't see any reason to buy all that stuff if girls aren't coming back.  Also, my worst attendance during the year is in the last month; it just doesn't seem like the best time for a big ceremony.


The Brownie Girl Scout Way badge has celebrating Juliette Gordon Low's birthday as a requirement.  By the end of October (her birthday is on Halloween) my roster has usually settled down and parents are over the wallet shock of starting school.  I have just found that to be a good time for a Bridging, Investiture and Rededication ceremony (and our first Court of Awards).

Below is my script for our most recent ceremony.  It involved two troops: my Daisy/Brownie troop and a Brownie/Junior troop that meets at the same time. 


Daisy/Brownie Investiture, Rededication and Bridging


A table is in the middle.. On the table are three candles in a holder, a candle holder with ten more candles a Girl Scout pin or vest for each new/bridging  girl & a vase with Daisies in it. .


Girls are in chairs facing parents on either side of table.


Ruth:  the Girl Scouts of Troop 40016 and 40318 would like to welcome everyone to our ceremony today.  We are celebrating several important things. First, we are celebrating the birthday of Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of Girl Scouts.  With the help of troop 40016 help we are going to tell you about Juliette
SOUND EFFECTS: As the story is read, each group upon hearing its name, stands up making the sound effect listed below. Practice the sounds and actions first so each group understands what to do.
Brownies Little Girls…………………………….Stand and giggle
Daisies Juliette Low………………………….Curtsy and say “Be my friend”
Brownies  Georgia (state of)……………….Say “Hey, you all!”
Daisies  Horses……………………………………Say “Neighhhhh”
Brownies  Lord Baden-Powell……………….Bow formally and say “How do you do”
Daisies London……………………………….…..Sing “London Bridge is Falling Down”
Brownies  Boy Scouts………………………….…Make scout sign, say “Be Prepared”
Daisies Girl Scouts……………………………Sing one line of “Girl Scouts Together”


Once upon a time there was a little girl named Juliette Low who lived in Georgia and loved to ride horses. After she grew up she went to London where she met Lord Baden-Powell who founded the Boy Scouts. She was fascinated by the work he was doing. She studied with him awhile and decided to found a troop of Girl Scouts for her friends who liked to ride horses in Georgia. So Juliette Low said good-bye to the Boy Scouts in London and came home with the idea that Lord Baden-Powell gave her. She formed a group of little girls, who liked to ride horses and be together, into a troop of Girl Scouts. And they loved it so much that the idea spread and now there are troops all over the world. Aren‛t we glad that a (speed up here) Little Girl named Juliette Low from Georgia who liked Horses went to London and met Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts, and came home to start the wonderful world of Girl Scouts!


Shelly: As Girl Scouts, we say the Girl Scout Promise.  We promise to serve God (light a candle) to serve our country (light candle) and to help other people (light candle).  The Girl Scout Law tells us how to do those things. Could the members of troop 40318 come forward please.
Divide the GS Law among the Girls--they say a phrase and using one of the lit candles, light a candle


I will do my best to be honest and fair (light candle)
I will do my best to be friendly and helpful (light)
I will do my best to be considerate and caring (light)
I will do my best to be courageous and strong
I will do my best to be responsible for what I say and do
I will do my best to  respect myself and others
I will do my best to respect authority
I will do my best to use resources wisely
I will do my best to make the world a better place
I will do my best to be a sister to every Girl Scout



Ruth:  Now the girls in Troop 40016  will sing the Girl Scout Law for us
sing


Ruth:  As Girl Scouts get older, they move to different levels.  Girl Scouts have traditionally celebrated by crossing a bridge from one level to the next.  We have some girls here who are wearing their Daisy blue for the last time. When I call your name, please get on the bridge, walk halfway across and stop and let your parents take your pictures. Then come down here and let me give you your Brownie uniform


Ruth:  Welcome to Brownies.  Your Brownie pin is on upside down. Girl Scouts are supposed to do a good deed every day.   It’s a Girl Scout tradition that you have to do a good deed before you can turn it right side up.  Now, Alexis, you were part of our troop last year; will you join us up here. Every year Girl Scouts publicly rededicate themselves to the ideals of Girl Scouting.  Will all of our continuing members of troop 40016 make the GS sign with your right hand and lets say the GS Promise. On my honor… You will now receive a Daisy to remind you of the founder of GS, Daisy Low.   Please have a seat.


The first time Girl Scouts publicly make the GS Promise and receive their first pin is called an Investiture.  When I call your name, please come forward and stand in the front. Make the Girl Scout Sign with your right hand and repeat after me. On my honor..


As I call your name come over here and get your Pins, and don’t forget to look at your parents and smile and then go to ____and get your Daisy


Shelly:  Years ago Brownies were the youngest Girl Scouts and had a separate promise and sign from the older girls. Their mascot was the Wise Old Owl.  While today all Girl Scouts from oldest to youngest use the same Girl Scout Promise and Girl Scout sign, we continue the tradition of Brownies Flying Up to Juniors.  In her pack of badges, each girl bridging to Juniors will receive her Brownie Wings. When I call your name, please get on the bridge, walk halfway across and stop and let your parents take your picture. Then come down here and let me give you your Junior uniform.   


Shelly:  Will the other continuing members of   troop 40318 please come forward and renew their Girl Scout Promise. Continuing members come forward and make their Promise together.


Shelly: Let’s think for a moment about these lovely daisies. Daisy was the nickname of our founder, Juliette Low. She loved her country and the world, and wanted every girl to be the best that she could be. Ms. Ruth and I hope through our activities this year that you will have fun & learn to be the best you can be. (Pass out Daisies)  Girls Please be seated.


Shelly:  Tonight we are passing out the badge(s) we’ve earned so far this year.  Girls will be getting their ---say a little about the badge(s) and what they are about, call girls names and give you.


Ruth:  Tonight we are passing out the badges we’ve earned so far this year….


Ruth:  Let’s have all the girls stand and we will finish with a favorite Girl Scout song:  Make New Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment