Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Brownie Bugs Badge

 

Brownie Bugs Badge

Because other troops have enjoyed it and because our troop did not do it during their Daisy years, I started my "Brownies only" meetings this year with the Bugs badge.  According to Badge Explorer, there are the requirements: 

Explore the world of bugs and learn more about these little creatures that do so much.   

  • Draw a bug poster
  • Try a bug craft
  • See bugs in action 
  • Explore bug homes
  • Take a bug field trip    

When you've earned this badge, you'll know all about bugs.

Draw a Bug Poster

I went to the library and checked out a stack of books on bugs.  I told each girl to peruse a book or two, pick a bug and do a poster showing what the bug looked like and two facts about the bug.  I've done this badge with three different groups and that's never been anyone's favorite activity.  As usual, 3/4 did butterflies.  

Try a Bug Craft

I was going to do coffee filter butterflies (and I may still) but when I got there I couldn't find the spring clothespins.  I improvised quickly, gave each girl a paper plate and six 1/2 pipe cleaners, markers and a hole punch and had them make an insect out of the paper plate.  I think we'll re-do this if we have time, and do the coffee filter butterflies. 

See Bugs in Action

I stopped at Petco and bought crickets for each girl. I asked them to bring a glass jar with a lid and we put the crickets in there and set them on the table where we could see them.  We talked about the parts of the body we could see.  Also, we were meeting outside so I asked the girls to go out in the field and up next to the trees and see if they could find any bugs.  We saw an ant  hill but no ants.  We saw a couple of moths, but that was it.  

Explore Bug Homes

I found a Youtube video on metamorphosis so we explored cocoons.  

Take a Bug Field Trip

We took a trip via video.  We saw stink beetles and hissing cockroaches.  

My Comments:

We took two and a half meetings for this badge, doing three requirements at the first meeting and two at the second.  At the second meeting we also learned to build a fire, as part of our Eco Friend badge.  

For my other two troop that did this badge, the highlight was a trip to the local insectarium.  Unfortunately, it has been closed down.  Also the rules we have to observe on field trips are just more than I am willing to deal with.  Still, the girls had fun.  

Here is what we did last time I did this badge. 

I sent this plan home for girls who wanted to do more or who needed to do make-up work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment