Friday, December 13, 2019

Honest and Fair, Board Games and Making Games

I have both Daisies and Brownies and I run one meeting for all the girls.  Generally we do Brownie Badges and I do my best to relate the topic to a Daisy Petal or Badge.  My goal for the year is to complete five petals as we did the other five last year.  One we needed this year was "Honest and Fair", which ties in nicely with Making Games.  Making Games also ties into the Daisy Board Game Badge so we've spent the last three meetings working on these badges, and we still have one more activity, which we will do at our holiday party. Many of the chosen activities were from the GGGS, VTK or River Valley's plans, which I summarized in this post.

Our first meeting was dedicated primarily to the Daisies.  I told the girls the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" and we talked about how if we aren't honest, people won't believe us.  We talked about games we liked and why they have rules, and how it isn't fun when someone we play with cheats.


I then passed out art supplies and told the girls to come up with a board game of their own and gave them the materials to make the spinner (the engineering part of this badge). We didn't have a lot of success.  The girls had fun making their games, and we finished them at the second meeting.

At the second meeting I gave each girl a tag on her forehead with the name and a quick sketch of some familiar object.  They had to ask each other questions to try to learn what they were.  That was our Mystery Game for Making Games.

For Create a Party Game, we talked about playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey.  I divided the girls to groups and gave each group a large piece of roll paper, some construction paper and some markers.  They had to work together to decide what they were going to pin to what, to draw the figures and cut out the tail substitutes.  I also gave each group a sleep mask so they could test their game.  They had a ball with this.


At our third meeting we made beanbags.  We had three sewing machines present and pre-cut cloth.  Each girl got to sew two sides of her beanbag, fill it with beans and then sew it shut.  While we were rotating girls through the sewing, groups of girls were given hula hoops and bean bags and told to come up with a game to play with them. This was to meet the requirement to Invent a Whole New Sport.  The other thing we did at the third meeting was to do a Scavenger Hunt.  Since we have Daisies and Brownies I paired each Daisy with a Brownie so each group had at least one person who could write/spell.  They were asked to write a description for five things in the room, and after they did that, I read the clues and girls guessed them.  One of the clues purported to describe me --
"old and wears glasses".  I'm not old,I'm not even 60 yet.  I wonder if I should disqualify the girl who wrote that?

At our Holiday party, we will "Change the Rules" to Duck, Duck, Goose and the girls will have to come up with holiday-themed words to use.

How did your troop earn this badge? 

No comments:

Post a Comment