Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Problem With Parents

In both my own experience as a fifteen year Girl Scout leader and the things I read on Facebook groups for Girl Scout leaders, I've come to the conclusion that Girl Scouts can't decide what to do with parents.  While BSA insists that their youngest scouts have a parent or other adult participate with them, GSUSA discourages extra parents at meetings.  While Cub Scouts do family camping, GSUSA (or at least my council) requires any adult spending the night at a Girl Scout camp be registered and background checked, and, in general, discourages family camping except at special events.  While Daisies in my council are required to have an adult spend the night with them, once they hit Brownies, troops are encouraged to take only the required number of adults.  The trip training for leaders taking older girls on trips of three nights or more states that only the adults necessary to meet ratios attend, even if that number is two--which in my opinion is unsafe for the adults.  

On the other hand, a frequent complaint on leader Facebook groups is the lack of parental participation.  Whether they are complaining about difficulty finding co-leaders, or not having a cookie mom, or not getting things turned in on time, leaders seem to want more from parents in general.

I ask:  Should you be surprised that parents don't participate more in an organization that seems to be constantly pushing them away and saying that girls need to be  more independent?  Is the $25 membership fee (plus the cost of a background check) keeping your parents from participating more?  

How involved are your parents?  Do you want them more involved or not?  If you want them more involved, what would you like them to do?

4 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to have active, helpful parents in our troop.

    As I have learned though, over the last 11 years, when parents stay at meetings they either get in the way, try to do the projects for the girls, sit and talk loudly, or bring little ones with them. I would rather have less help in a quiet environment where girls can do for themselves and learn independence. It is all about the girls, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Junior Troop since 1st year Daisies. From the beginning through now, I have always supported the parents staying to help or dropping off. I do not mind siblings if they participate and don’t disrupt our activity. If the parents get too noisy, I ask the girls to help me remind the parents to be respectful. Because I have included the parental involvement, the parents are the strength of the Troop. My philosophy is that Girl Scouts grow up to be parents, and we should support parents who have multiples and may not have childcare. I also strongly believe in delegation. I can’t do everything. I have an awesome Cookie Manager. I have had a couple different Fall Product Managers and I have a reliable Treasurer. I have a rotating snack Kaper. I encourage parents to plan outings or activities. Just yesterday, a parent organized all of the supplies for “planting” a Little Library. The parent brought all supplies to assemble the post, mount the Library to the post, mix and pour concrete, inscribe books and make bookmarks. Getting parents involved complicated things but if you communicate, set expectations, and appreciate them, they will want to help more.
    Cub Scouts is very family friendly and gets the whole family involved. All trips are open to family and siblings. I like this model better but I also see value to exclusive Girl Scout activities. I think there is a way to do both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a parent required D-A troop. I require one parent for each girl to be registered and background checked. Each parent leads or assists in leading a level. I tell people up front that this is the way I run my troop. I do not allow them to “helicopter” their own child but I make sure that we have plenty of help for all girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in Northern NJ Council Have been a leader for 8 years. I do not have a daughter in my troop (now Seniors (soph HS)). I feel like saying that parents are DIScouraged necessarily to join in GS activities...I DO think GS is more strict on making sure our girls are surrounded by safe adult volunteers. My parents will help out and attend things when needed, but I think it is important to have the GS time to be ABOUT THE GIRL...they can have family time any other time...it def builds their self esteem and makes them more independent. Just my 2 cents... Love ALL my sister scouts!

    ReplyDelete