Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Outdoor Art Day

In my not so humble opinion, one of the major things that separates Girl Scouts from other youth activities aimed at girls is its outdoor program.  Because of that, as a leader I try to offer outdoor-focused programming several times a year.

During this troop year we attended our Service Unit camping trip, had two daytrips to our local Girl Scout camp and we had an Outdoor Art day at a nearby state park. Our Daisies earned their Outdoor Art Maker badge and the Brownies earned. Outdoor Art Creator.


Daisy Outdoor Art Maker

You can see the full Daisy badge brochure here.

The area we used had picnic tables and a playground, and, not far away a "hiking" (about 1/2 mile) trail and more picnic tables, with grills nearby.  As the girls arrived they played on the playground until we were ready to start.

I brought a tub full of craft supplies including crayons, water colors and brushes and paper.  While the Brownies and Daisies had different requirements, I had both groups do both badges, and just awarded each the badge for their level.

For "See the Colors of Nature" I chose the watercolor painting, but we skipped the lemon juice,  I just told the girls to look around and we discussed the various colors we saw.  Then I let them start to paint.

Requirement No. 2 is to "Hear the Sounds of Nature".  We did the hiking activity,  Several of the girls had made maracas while at our Service Unit encampment, so they doubled up on this requirement.

The third requirement "Share Outdoor Art" was fulfilled by doing a "Leave No Trace" picture.  We discussed LNT and the girls drew their picture on a paper that they had used to do bark rubbings (see Brownie activities below).

Brownie Outdoor Art Creator

The Brownie Badge Brochure can be found here.  

While we were hiking, the Brownies worked on "Find Art Outdoors" by completing the Nature Detective Walk described in the brochure.  

For the second requirement, "Make Something" we did bark rubbings by holding paper up to trees and rubbing with the side of a peeled crayon.  I was surprised at how many girls didn't realize you could remove the paper from the crayon on purpose to use it that way.  After we had the bark impressions on the paper, we used the paper for the Leave No Trace drawing the Daisies had to do (we all did them).  

For "Dance or Make Music Outdoors" we did the animal motions as described in the brochure, but rather than writing them down and pairing the girls up, I just told them what animal to act like.  They had fun and it got some wiggles out. 

Number four is "Be a Nature Photographer".  Since we had as many adults (and phones) as girls, I asked each girl to find something to photograph.  Before we did that, I had each girl hold her hand out as far as she could, thumbs up.  We then moved out thumbs closer and closer to our eyes and I pointed out that even though we are looking at the same thumb, it looks different depending on the distance.  Next, I told the girls to find something to photograph, and that I wanted them to take 3 pictures of it, each from a different distance.  I asked the parents to post the pictures on our facebook page and to show the other pictures to their daughter.  




Finally, for "Design with Nature" we were going to press leaves at our next meeting.  It was a lesson to the leader on being prepared.  I haven't pressed leaves since I was a sophomore in high school but I assumed waxed paper had not changed, and that this would not be hard.  I was mistaken.  I couldn't get the wax to melt.  Time for plan B--we did leaf rubbings.  

The Rest of the Day

Once we had finished the art, we ate our picnic lunch (everyone brought one) and let the kids play for a while.  Then it was time for S'mores.  

We went over to the grill that was close to the woods and talked about tinder, kindling and fuel. The girls gathered wood and put it in three different piles.  Once the wood was gathered, everyone helped to build the fire.  I showed them how to light a match and each girl got to try it.  Then I added pine straw to the fire and lit it.  Each girl then got to add wood to the burning fire.  Finally, time for s'mores!  Once the fire was properly extinguished, everyone headed home.  

Several girls listed this day as their favorite activity of the year.  

My Thoughts and Comments

The park we visited was about twenty minutes from home, but outside of the area the girls were usually in.  While there was nothing we did that we could not have done at our local park, the fact that we were "away" made it more of an adventure.  

We were at the park from 10-2.  Each girl's parent brought her, and most of them stayed.  I know some folks aren't fond of that, but this was a public park, and honestly, my parents are great.  

I am as non-artistic as you can be, but this day was simple to put together and to run.  We worked in the requirements for both levels and the girls had fun.  What more could I want in day?


No comments:

Post a Comment